all that glitters

Sunday, February 22, 2009

I've finally discovered how much traffic sucks. My normally ten minute commute to and from work took me an 1 1/2 the other day because of a barricade on base..don't know what was going on, but the M16's were out, and the barricades were up. Then got on the beltway and sat in gridlock traffic for another hour due to a huge accident. Ahhhh i love the city!

I've very comfortable here. The last week or two i realized how acclimated to the area i've already become. I find myself getting annoyed when tourists go the speed limit on the beltway and not the 75-80 i've become accustomed to. I know every spot where people freak out and swerve when they realize the road splits into multiple freeways, and i help people on the metro when they stand there looking lost or can't figure out how to enter! :) I'm also so comfortable at my job (even though i'm technically on orientation) that i've found myself telling nurses that have been there for years who a certain doc is and what their pager number is. I've had my definite share of frustration (i.e...stupid, lazy techs, and people that would rather sit on their ass then do their job) but i've had great moments as well. I worked the whole weekend and even though my patients weren't critical critical, it was extremely satisfying.

I've always been under the impression that a patients attitude is a direct reflection of how you treat them, and i was right in a surprising and heartbreaking way today. I've had a pt who we were going to put on hospice and were basically keeping to babysit her coumadin levels and dvt. She'd become increasingly disoriented, and unresponsive, a total turn/clean/care. My biggest pet peeve is when people don't talk to the pt as if they can hear when they're not responding as much. Even though she wasn't necessarily a challenge or exciting, I had her all weekend, talked to her, combed and braided her hair, and treated her like a human being. I was joking around and telling her that she got to leave on monday and i bet she was sick of seeing my face, when she looked at me and said. "actually you're very sweet Kara." I almost crapped my pants! She barely talked at all, except to see little girls or call for her husband, and i told her my name every day but had no idea if she actually comprehended. Her affect improved ten fold and she improved dramatically. It taught more than me a lesson!

Aside from the day to day at work..i'll be switching to night shift soon, and Rich, Faren and Mona are all coming to visit me in March! I'm so excited.

I had the fabulous opportunity to explore restaurant week in DC...it's when a handful of the ritzy upscale restaurants offer a 4 course meal for 35.50 for a week. I had an amazing night out with two of my girlfriends here and loved trying food that i could never afford otherwise!

Life is really good, i've been SLOWLY setting up my apartment and enjoying life in general. My job isn't that challenging but i've met some amazing people already and have had the opportunity to give fabulous care all while surprising doctors when i actually know way beyond what they expect of their nurses. lol. I also have a new flight commander whom i love and who is very focused on career advancement. She got me into a critical care class at WAlter Reed for two days next week and gave me the days off of work. It feels good to have someone on my side! :)

love and miss you all,

me

No comments: