all that glitters

Monday, January 19, 2009

Life in the city

I'm slowly getting adjusted to living alone. Some things have come so easy for me and i feel as if i fit in and belong, yet there's still times when i think i'm completely fine, and then have a meltdown (sorry mom :)) It's so odd to feel completely alone. When i'm busy and doing things, i don't really notice it, but it's those nights when i really just want to talk to someone and nobody answers their phone that i really feel the emptiness. Thank God those days are few and far between!

Military Nursing
I finally started actually working this weekend and it's a far cry from the craziness of the ICU and trauma that i thrive on, but it's decent. Because of all the plans to actually close the hospital i'm at, and merge as a super hospital with the army and navy, we don't actually get many patients, and in my opinion the inpatient rooms are quite ghetto and primitive. Ironically if you go to the basement and the fifth floor you would think you were in a five star resort! This is because Andrews deals a lot with the troops coming back from overseas and so senators, dignitaries, and the Washington Post are frequently in these areas. It is very political and showy at times. I'm learning all of the amazing opportunities available to me, but also learning how competitive it is in this small Air Force. Good thing i like a challenge! :) I met with the chief nurse the other day and she likes my "bubbly personality and motivation," which is good because i told her everything i want to do, and she can help me get there. We'll see where this job takes me....

Inauguration Excitement
It's impossible not to get caught up in the excitement of the upcoming inauguration as it's all around me. I went into DC the other day and marveled at the millions of port a potties and all the extra gates and security. Even the smithsonians were closed! Today i also took the metro into pentagon city, and started to experience the extra 2 million people that have come to the city to witness the event. There were people EVERYWHERE!!!!!!! It was insane. It was kind of odd to feel like a minority! I felt like people were staring at me because i was white! lol..seriously it's amazing how many african americans are in the area. DC is in itself an extremely diverse area, demographically almost the opposite of much of the country, but i don't think i noticed it until now! As a person who's never really seen color, it took me a moment to realize that i was the only white girl working the last two nights....very interesting. I do find the tv coverage of the inauguration quite racist though in the fact they are focusing so much on color, and are really only showing black people who are calling Obama "their president." There are plenty of other races at these events as well...he's just as my president even though i'm white. Whatever...I do wish i had gotten here earlier though. As a military member i could have attended a ton of the events and balls if i would have known earlier! There was a free concert with Aretha Franklin tonight and one yesterday with Beyonce, etc etc..It's really quite cool to have all of this so close to me. However, i am strictly forbidden to go to inauguration..commanders order, we are on call in case of a mass casualty or terrorist event. Cross our fingers nothing happens. 2 million people in the mall area is kind of a scary target.

Blessed
Despite the occasional loneliness and being so far away from loved ones...i am truly lucky to be here. There is so much to do. I went to mt. vernon the other day and got chills to be in the same place where so much history was created..and a bit creepily stood in the room where George Washington died. I am learning more and more amazing and fun things to do..can't wait till people visit! Tonight Candace, Sara (two other nurses) and I went to this restaurant that has been around for hundreds of years on the potomac, and then went to barnes and noble and got coffee and books. :) it's so nice to have all these amazing things within 3 miles of my apartment.

Finding what matters
It's hard not to get caught up in the materialism and snobbiness of the east coast. There is so much money, history and intellectualism here that you start to question everything in your life. I was having a rough time remembering what really mattered to me and what i really want out of life. I felt like i was starting to get sucked into it all. Thank goodness Rich came to visit just in time. It felt so good to have him here to help me set up my apartment and to just hang out with. It was a nice reality check that all i really want in life is at the end of the day someone who's there and knows me and will just listen to me and be there for me. If i had someone exactly like me who analyzed the hell out of life, they'd drive me nuts! I love my take life as it comes boyfriend! :)

well..i think that's enough random thoughts for one night. I am really happy here, and excited to have so much to do. It will feel nice to actually have my bed soon ( i shall have all of my stuff by the end of the week..bye bye air mattress!) Hope this finds you all happy! love always,
Kara

p.s. if you want my address email me...i don't want to post it here.

No comments: