all that glitters

Saturday, January 3, 2009

home sweet home

it's been awhile since i've written! Life has been a whirlwind as usual, and i've barely had time to catch my breath let alone update my blog. :) I left Florida on the 17th and drove to North Carolina for some much needed time with Rich. I then drove to D.C, parked my car and went to the Airport to spend christmas with everyone in Arizona! Since then, i've been apartment searching, and getting used to this crazy city that i will now call home.

I never realized how much went into apartment searching. Though i've lived in my fair share of apartments and houses throughout the years, this is the first time that i'll have a place all of my very own! It is also the first time i've truly had to worry about commuting, safety, and all those grown-up things that really weren't an issue in good old marquette! After viewing many many apartments i narrowed it down to 2 that i truly was stuck on. Luckily Deanna flew into town the same day and i told both places that i would come back the next day to show her. I ended up picking the smaller of the two apartments (the other one was a huge with a fireplace, and a loft) and i'm so glad i chose like i did! I live in a place called carlyle mill...it's really upscale and expensive, but i got a great military deal on it...it's approximately 750 feet from the metro, right of 495 (the beltway), two metro stops from the airport, or a short 5-10 minute drive (with traffic behaving :)), across the street is a movie theater, starbucks, multiple restaurants, a whole foods, etc...It's very cozy, very city (i know those two contradict..but this place just has a good feel), and i've already met some other airforce people who showed Deanna and I around some sights (one of the guys is an airforce agent at the Pentagon). I feel very safe and happy here. I have a controlled access parking garage, a pool, movie theater, business center and 24 hour fitness center..it's all very nice.

Deanna and I had a lot of fun picking out stuff to decorate my new home with, and i don't know what i would have done without her! She's been a godsend with all of her knowledge and enthusiasm..as well as a sounding board for my indecisiveness. This is the first time we've ever really had an opportunity to really hang out just the two of us, and it's been such fun to realize how alike we really are. :) I still don't have any furniture in my apartment (waiting for it to be delivered as well as my storage stuff), but i have a fabulous kitchen, fabulous air mattress, and a fabulous red wall courtesy of Deanna's painters inc. :)

I am loving it here, thought it is VERY cold for my wardrobe (winter coats are in storage!), I am in love with the History of Alexandria, of DC, and with the amount of things to do. I cannot wait until my job is settled, but i can already tell that living here will be a truly great experience. Love and miss you all...with email with my new address ( so nice to feel remotely settled!)

No comments: