It has officially been a while since I've written last! Where to begin...I have been busy as usual and living my life to the fullest.
Holidays
I was so fortunate to spend the Christmas holidays with Rich. We had so much fun going to a co-workers holiday get together, enjoying the snow fall (We got over 30
inches in one night and shut the city down!) going to the national tree and just enjoying our first christmas together. It didn't feel quite like christmas normally does, but it was wonderful doing all of the normal traditions and adding some of our own. We made our first ham dinner and were also able to go to an amazing light and ice show at the Gaylord Hotel in National Harbor. We were so lucky to be able to see each other 4 times in December and again this past week and i will miss him like crazy when he leaves tomorrow morning for Qatar!
Work
-I have been busy once again with all of the different events for work. I was involved in a first ever "luncheon" organized for all of the bigwigs spouses in the wing. I was one of 3 nurses who put on the event, and ended up being coined by my commander! (Being 'coined' is a pretty cool honor..especially because my commander is fabulous and he's leaving this month!)
-I am nominated for the annual CGOC of the year award (All 2nd and 1st LT's and Captains). It is highly unlikely that i will receive it as it's pretty rare for a nurse to win..but i did plenty of bullet worthy things this year, so we'll see how well my supervisor writes my package!
-I realize some of this may be foreign to you all so i apologize...feel free to ask questions if you're at all interested! I also had the honor of eating lunch (literally at my table) with the Chief Nurse of the Air force-a two star general. She's pretty awesome, and i was so excited and motivated for my career again after speaking one on one with her!
-Remember that critical care fellowship i wasn't able to apply for? Well there was a second call for candidates, so i figured what the heck and put in my package...I still don't meet some of the Time on Station requirements but they really need critical care nurses, so we'll see...i should find out by February. If i don't get it..i am all set to start working on my flight nursing package!
-I've started my masters. I've actually only done one class so far to feel out how it would be. As usual i'm a huge procrastinator but i enjoy the research and i realize i'm probably a lot harder on myself than my professors are! Though this masters isn't a direct route for what i want to do right now..it will make me very diverse, open a lot of doors in the future, and i'm actually really interested in the subject.
DEPLOYMENT
in other news..i'm officially deployed and i love my job! Seriously! Even though i don't necessarily do a TON of patient care, the mission is worthwhile and so satisfying. It's a lot of logistics but so interesting to coordinate all the flights, missions, giving report on 35 patients to all the docs, nurses and techs from multiple hospitals, and being the first stop for injured soldiers returning from theater. It's crazy to sit back and realize exactly what i'm dealing with at times...our missions are very high-profile..obviously confidential..but in essence anything crazy that goes on in Afghanistan and Iraq that you hear about...i'm seeing the results of those attacks. Thus...we must deal with lots and lots of VIP's, generals, CIA, etc....There are times that it all feels a bit surreal (when i have the time to stop and think!). My first mission actually was the most unique one that they've ever had...our c-17 couldn't land because of high-winds..and some very high profile CCAT's having issues..they got diverted to BWI, and we had to get escorted onto a civilian flight line to pick up patients! I wish i could take pictures but it's illegal on the flight line....I absolutely LOVE It!!!!
I also have a new roommate and it's so nice to have someone around, as well as to not live completely paycheck to paycheck!
Well i think that pretty much does it for now..my life has consisted of work, work,I work, eating sleeping and Rich lately! I am so excited for the new year, for resolutions and fresh starts, and for life in general!
No comments:
Post a Comment