Life has been a whirlwind since i left my lazy Arizona summer with the family, but i'm loving every minute of it. Perhaps my "happy-go-lucky" personality allows me to be more resiliant to the stresses the military delivers. All i know is that so far, i have been able to handle every challenge thrown at me. As you can see i've been back-posting a few of the emails i sent out when i couldn't access my blog. I still don't have the internet in my room here in florida, but i'm looking into getting a card for my computer through a cell phone company. I also can go to the billeting office (where i am now) but it's about a mile from my room so it will be a pain to always walk here.
I graduated!
graduation was short and sweet, with just a bit of marching, the oath, 'pass and review,' ruffles and flourishes, and the national anthem. I realize that most of you have no idea what i'm talking about, and it still makes me laugh that it all seems so natural to me now! It's amazing what you can acclamate to if given the opportunity! I will explain specifically if someone so desires. This picture is of Colonel Miller and I.
To be honest, my last week was nothing but wrapping things up, interviews with commanders, feedback, ceremonies, and briefings on what to expect at my first assignment. And last but not least..fun dinners! We had a 'dining in' in which we had to wear mess dress. Mine came back from alterations without being altered and i had to suffer with pins in my stomach all night. I had a brilliant observation at this point...i believe Air Force uniforms were designed by a gay man because the men always look great and the women look like they are quakers and are wearing a burlap sack! :) I would rather wear what the guys where than a floor-length skirt! lol..oh well..it was a ton of fun to actually get to 'get back' and our training instructors with the grog bowl...a toilet bowl full of alcoholic or non alcoholic punch..there is a huge ceremonial process ..you have to speak in rhyme and do about faces, etc...all of it was a hoot to watch. I also went to dinner with my flight and squadron commanders and learned a lot of interesting stuff. It was so surreal to have them call me by my first name and not Lt. Granroth. Creepy! :)
on the road again
Driving from Alabama to Florida was a breeze ( a mere 3 hrs) and i'm loving it here already. It's incredibly beautiful here in the panhandle (fort walton beach/destin) and there's sooooooo much to do. I'm really glad i'll be here for 11 weeks. I will take some pictures as soon as i get the chance. yesterday i explored the base and managed to get lost..it's huge! Now i know my way around, and am loving the opportunities available. I also had lunch at this amazing seafood place on the coast and watched all the sailboats out on the water while sitting outside. Bliss! it will be back to the uniforms on tuesday when i start in-processing but this little bit of freedom was fabulous. My officer quarters are actually decent..and i have my own little kitchenette..etc..like a mini-apartment.
I will have an address tomorrow, and i'll let you all know. As far as the granroth family..can you let me know if you're getting this? I have no idea what the new address is to get mail at...i didn't have internet when the whole switch occured! thanks!
No comments:
Post a Comment